Herzlich Willkommen!

A couple of days ago I stepped my foot on the German land again. It took me a while to figure out how I want to go about starting my life here, and I think I found a decent solution. For at least 6 months I'm going to work as an Au-Pair in a small city near the border of France and Switzerland. It's interesting how life keeps on guiding me to 'in-betweener' cities: firstly Maastricht, which is crammed between Belgium and Germany, and now Lahr. Well, I can't say that I don't like it - it gives me an easy access to different countries, and I'm definitely gonna be using that soon! Oh, almost forgot - for all of those who have no clue what Au-Pair is, I can make a short introduction. Basically it's a worldwide nanny program allowing to spend some time abroad. You live with a family in a foreign country, help them with their everyday tasks, look after the kids and in the meantime learn the local language and try to get to know a new culture. Since I have a lot of experience dealing with youth and I'd like to study something related to education in Germany later on, this was a great first step. To be honest, I didn't put that much effort into looking for a family - they found me. I've just registered in the Au-Pair World website, didn't even fill in my profile, and the next day I already had a couple of letters from various families. So I was the one choosing in this case. And I think I've chosen well! So far it's going great, and even though I can't understand half of the things that are being said to me, I think that soon I'm going to be making some progress in the speaking-and-understanding-German department. This week I'm starting a language course and on top of that I'm just going to bombard myself with German in every possible way. Since I have a TV in my room, maybe I'm even going to start watching it again and experience how all the movies and TV series are being butchered with German dubbing for myself...

3 thoughts on “Herzlich Willkommen!

Anonymous said...

oh dear, vokiečių kalba. :D mokiausi 8 metus, can't say a word! Na gal ne visai taip, bet kai buvau Miuncheno McDonalde prieš kelis metus, ir pasakiau zwei cheesburger bitte, tai manęs niekas nesuprato ir kol už nugaros buvęs vietinis neišverė mano prašymo, tol pardavėjas tik nervingai kratė galvą neturėdamas žalio supratimo ko aš noriu. Arba tai buvo principo reikalas :D
žodžiu sėkmės! Ir žinoma gerai praleisk laiką. Laukiami įrašai su nuotykių aprašymu :)

mon said...

Nu tai jau labai principingas pasitaikė : D Mano vokiečių kalbos mokymosi suvestinė panaši, tik kad per pastaruosius metus tekdavo vis dažniau su ja susidurt. Nors vis dar normaliai šalutinio sakinio nesurezgu, progresą pastebėjau : D Gaila tik kad nuotykiai nelabai noriai planuojasi, kai oras šlykštus. Nors jau buvo visko, pvz., ketvirtą dieną po mano atvykimo draugas ranką susilaužė, tai poliklinika - check!

Anonymous said...

auč, bet spėju kai reikalas skubus, tai labai greitai viską išsiaiškini. anyways, lūžusios galūnes yra visai nesmagus dalykas. :/

Powered by Blogger.